Check Points on License NY

  • Speeding - 1 - 10 MPH over speed limit - 3
  • Speeding - 11 - 20 MPH over speed limit - 4
  • Speeding - 21 - 30 MPH over speed limit - 6
  • Speeding - 31 - 40 MPH over speed limit - 8
  • Speeding - 40 or more MPH over speed limit - 11
  • Speeding - MPH over speed limit not indicated - 3
  • Cell Phone use with no hands-free device - 5
  • Using an electronic Devise or Texting - 5
  • Reckless driving - 5
  • Failing to stop for a school bus - 5
  • Inadequate brakes - 4
  • Following too closely - 4
  • Passing improperly- 3
  • Changing lanes unsafely - 3
  • Driving to the left of center- 3
  • Driving in the wrong direction - 3
  • Failing to obey a traffic signal - 3
  • Failing to obey a Stop sign, or a Yield sign - 3
  • Railroad crossing violation - 3
  • Failing to yield the right-of-way - 3
  • Passenger safety violation, seat belts, child safety seats, or passengers under age sixteen - 3
  • Left the scene of an accident that includes property damage or the injury of a domestic animal - 3
  • Other moving violations - 2
  • Inadequate brakes (vehicle of an employer) - 2

Free Consultation

As you can see above, New York State has dozens of ways to place points on your license. Figuring out what violation equals what penalty and what that can mean to your license and your insurance rates can be difficult. Also, calculating which points to add up to determine whether you have accumulated too many points is tricky. However, if you receive 11 points or more in eighteen (18) months (calculated from date of violation), the NY DMV will suspend your driver license. The NY DMV must revoke your driver license if you are convicted of three speeding violations within an 18-month period no matter how many points you have. If you are a Repeat DWI offender you could have your license revoked for life when you apply to have your driving privileges restored after any revocation.

You should not plead guilty to a traffic ticket. Notwithstanding the fines, surcharges, insurance rate hikes, and driver responsibility fees, the location where you received the ticket does not want you to plead guilty either. If you plead guilty most of the money the Court collects will be the property of the State. If however, your ticket is reduce to parking or some other charge the fine money stays with the Town. So support your community by pleading not-guilty and hire a lawyer to handle it.

Need a Traffic Ticket Lawyer?

Call Stephen K. Underwood, Esq.
or get started with a complimentary case evaluation.